We performed at a beautiful church in Toronto, and you can even see a snippet of our performance. If you love 'Silent Night' click here and go to our Facebook page to see a video of the show :) It was one of my favourites, so I'm very happy to be able to share it with you!
For this concert, our conductor and Artistic Director (and good friend of mine) asked if I might be able to make the choir some accessories. In the past we had often coordinated colours, and always worn black concert clothes, but didn't have an official choir uniform that we had each concert. So going with one of our favourites, a red colour scheme I got to work and set to making 18 choir accessories we could wear not only for this holiday season, but for every concert!
I chose to make pocket squares for the gentlemen, and flower pin brooches for the ladies.
Using music notation fabric I bought in JoAnns earlier this year I knew this would make a great bold black and white visual of music for the men.
In my first trial of the pocket squares I edged the fabric with ribbon after hemming the edges of the square. However, on thinking about it, and finding the perfect double fold red binding tape I actually edged the squares with this instead, creating a really nice contrasting red colour which would pop out of the pocket once folded. I love the colour choice my conductor wanted to go with and, there's no going wrong with red, black and white I think!
After ALWAYS seeing flowers online, how to create ruffled flowers, folded ribbon flowers, gathered fabric flowers, all kinds of easy DIY brooches or hair accessory flowers - I had actually never made one myself. I've been too focused on the boys onesie bow ties and moustache pins/clips!
So, after a lot of research on some "how to's", some good old fashioned reading in sewing books etc I came up with a mix of methods which I felt I would be able to pull off (during an extremely busy week!)
I don't have many tutorial-esque photos I'm afraid as I was in a bit of a time crunch the whole time... but I'll try and describe what I did as I went along!
I started with a round of black felt that would be the base for the flower. The bigger the circle, the more fabric you'd need, and the bigger flower you'll end up with. I started trying a circle of this end of the whisk attachment but it ended up being too big.