I am SO pleased with how these cupcakes turned out and cannot wait to share the rest of my projects with you, although the most important people this time already received them...the new beautiful baby boy, the cutest big sister and excited parents of two little ones! :-)
4oz butter, softened
4oz caster sugar
4oz self-raising flour
I told you it was basic right?! I also added a splash of vanilla :-)
8oz icing sugar
1 tablespoon of milk
Flavouring or food colouring if required
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line a 12-hole cake tin with paper cases.
2. Place the butter, sugar, eggs and flour in a large bowl and beat together until smooth. Add vanilla if you like!!
3. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until well risen, golden brown and when a cake tester (I use a potato skewer) comes out clean.
5. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. While they are cooling, make the buttercream: Place the butter in a bowl and beat until fluffy - sift in the icing sugar and beat together until smooth.
7. When the cakes are cool, spread or pipe the icing on top of each cake and decorate as you like!
Nice and easy, which was lucky as it was 10.30 at night - but all totally worth it. And I got the best approval of the taste - when a not quite 2 year old keeps coming back for more bites... Now that makes me a happy baker :-)