So this week I'll start of the Loaf Cake 2-part series with a Lemon Loaf, adapted from a recipe given to me by my university housemate of 4 year's Mum... I loved it when she would come back from a visit home and would bring her Mum's "Luscious Lemon Loaf", so much so I even got a special recipe notecard from her and have made it many many many times since.
But then the worst happened. Saturday morning I went to get the notecard and it was GONE. Not where I left it, or where it should have been so I had to improvise a little... Now don't worry, my amazing best housemate has already re-sent me the recipe so I will never be without again but on the day, there was no time to spare, I had to do lots of baking and sewing too all before our choir concert.
I made a loaf cake and also 4 cupcakes from this recipe, but if you are just looking to make a loaf then just do 3/4 of the recipe instead. But really, who could say no to a little taste-test!? ... Especially if you're giving the loaf away or sharing with family/friends!
3 tbsp milk
9oz self-raising flour
Zest of 1 lemon
and for the glaze:
6 rounded tablespoons icing sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease and line a loaf tin, and prepare 4 cupcake cases.
2. Beat together the margarine and sugar.
3. Add the milk and mix together.
4. Sift flour and mix until combined.
5. Add eggs and beat after each addition.
5. Add lemon zest and mix together one last time!
6. Fill the prepared loaf tin, and use the remaining batter for a few bonus cupcakes.
7. Bake the cupcake for 15-20 minutes (until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean) and bake the loaf cake for 40-50 minutes.
While the cake is baking, make the glaze so it can be spread over the warm cake as soon as it comes out of the oven...
8. Mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice.
9. When the cake is baked and out of the oven. Leave in the tin to cool and immediately spread the glaze over the cake until it soaks in.
... And the final step is to just ENJOY! This is lemon at it's best! Lemon glaze on a lemon cake, in my eyes there is nothing better!
I packaged the loaves up in brown parchment paper, and tied up with string... ♫ These are a few of my favourite things ♫ ... of course!